Who is that Girl I See?....Reflection Time

Those born in Generation Z are the first to grow up in a time of technology and media, and my class is part of that generation. For us, our lives always coexisted with the presence of technology along with all of its advances. It then became a normality that everyone decided to be okay with. Bombardments of outrageous commercials and the rush to get the “next” thing become a way for us to stay connected. Only after learning the media’s levels of techniques and strategies did the outrageous and unforgettable qualities of those ads come to light.
Specific to these weekly blog posts of the past several months, they were directed towards the lesson at the time along with a free choice. This allows for the merging of ideas in seeing how the lesson connects to a true example we commonly see as consumers. For example, the feedback loop was a concept that made sense in the perspective of the advertisers. Why not give people the version of themselves that they want and is familiar to them? But, its presence in ads were well camouflaged until I was aware of it. I reflected on the trends of my childhood, and they were there even then. Now, it appears to be nostalgic when it was just the media jumping on board with a populous idea. This is a strategy that never fades because it matches the consumers as a literal mirror.
Personally, I don’t consume as much media as my peers. I deleted my social media platforms about a year ago, and I find myself spending that time on other activities. However, that doesn’t mean media influence doesn’t surround me. I’m not aware of the next trend or joke, so I’m left in the dark about certain things. Then again, isolation isn’t necessary and the best option, which is why I stay connected with the news and other outlets. My habits of not being on social media and limiting the amount of time I spend on platforms like Youtube aren’t the only way to react to the overpowering media. Others use those platforms and find a balance of reality and watching from the outside. It was learning about the ethics and assumptions of ads that strengthened my habits of limiting what I viewed to be hectic. Companies trying to appear superior to the others with big words and statistics didn’t seem like the main priority of my attention.
Furthermore, there is a great importance in being media literate since all aspects of the published information has a purpose. I found it difficult to believe that everything from the lighting to the color scheme can be intentional, but it was true. I learned that different colors evoke certain emotions to which companies can manipulate like technology being black and silver while hunger is red. The lighting will be natural if the mood is intended on appearing happy and lighthearted. Harsh lighting will be used for serious and even masculine ideals. There is so much to be considered, that it almost seems easier to give in. The issue is that this is how many people deal with it. My thought was then if I wasn’t aware of these lessons, others probably weren’t either. This is one of the main takeaways from the blog posts. It was a way for me relate real life to schooling as well as the opportunity for others to understand more about the up-and-coming world today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soda Imposter

Bigger=Better

$169,000,000 and It's Only Getting Higher